#MusicBrainer: how an EP can be used as a music promotion tool. | LEGIT9JA
The PE is no longer a foreign initial in the music industry (specifically in Nigeria) lately. However, this was not the case more than two decades ago, because at the time EP were not routine in Nigeria. But for now, today’s artists have used it as a strategic tool to present themselves in the music market and stand out properly.
WHAT IS AN EP?
For a random reader who must have come across this now common acronym and still doesn’t know what it means; this is what an EP represents. In the music industry, EP is an acronym for “Extended Reading List” Or just “Extended game“.
An EP contains songs often created for promotional purposes. It is usually a compilation of around four to six different songs with a playing time of around 20 to 25 minutes. Most of the time, EPs are usually made from original tracks that the artists haven’t released.
WHY DO ARTISTS RELEASE EPs?
There are a number of reasons why artists and their management choose to embark on an EP release. Some of them are;
1. To introduce artists to the market, bring them closer to their specific audience, and keep interest in the artist alive between the release of a single and a full album.
2. To help artists experiment with their music.
3. Since they are relatively easier to produce and promote, artists who want to release something more complete and professional but cannot afford the cost of producing a full album dive into creating from an EP
But most importantly, EPs can be used as a strategic promotional tool by artists.
Also read: 4 things you need to do to build hype for your next song release.
HOW AN EP CAN BE USED AS A MUSIC PROMOTION TOOL.
Prior to the release of an EP, the artist and label management should ensure that it is released with a strategic mindset, and not just as an addition to the artist’s discography.
Indeed, the EP is a strategic promotional tool allowing emerging and even established artists to break into the market and/or develop their profession/brand.
Here are some of the ways an EP can be used as a music promotion tool.
1. PEs can be used to build community – a fanbase for an artist. For an upcoming artist, between releasing a single and preparing a full album. An EP can be used to break into the market, build a community (audience/fanbase) and then go from unknown to becoming a niche artist.
2. EPs can help prepare an artist for a debut album. In a time like this where an EP can be likened to a shortened album, artists can use an EP as a tool to maintain the interest of their audience (community) before the release of full albums. This lets the artist know how much the audience appreciates and understands their music.
3. EPs can help an artist properly build a brand and maintain a brand presence. This can also affect their delivery style.
Also Read: How an Upcoming Nigerian Music Artist Can Get Started and Make Money from NFTs.
4. Some artists may also use EPs to experiment with new musical styles. Since EPs are less expensive to produce and less risky, already established niche artists can tweak their style and see if it will be accepted by their audience. In most cases, if it works or succeeds, some songs released on the EP might then go on to make albums.
5. Source of income. Since EPs are easier to produce and promote, as stated earlier, artists and their record labels use it as a tool to generate revenue, peradventure the EP becomes a hit.
6. To promote a tour. Artists might use an EP as a tool to promote a tour, especially in cases where the EP is a hit. Since audiences love the songs from the EP, they will be willing to pay to watch the artist perform songs from the EP in a show.